Friday, December 25, 2009

A Sad Ending to the Night

Last night as we were driving home from our homeless christmas celebration we saw Ovilio, another favorite, sitting in a door way.  Ovilio is always sober and always making jokes.   He had been at the stadium and received a gift but we had a few extras and he was alone so we called him over to give him another one.  Ovilio said thank you and told me goodbye one last time then started to walk away.  But as he was walking away Darwin and I both realized something was wrong.  Ovilio is always making jokes and laughing and he just wasn´t himself.  I asked him what was wrong and he just looked at me.  Then Darwin asked him what was wrong and he said nothing but he was obviously holding back tears.  Then he said, "It´s nothing, I´m just sad".  Darwin asked him if he missed his family and he made a quick retreat back to his doorfront, trying not to cry.  Darwin got out of the car and went to talk to him for a bit then we continued on, he was trying hard not to lose it in front of us and we wanted to give him that dignity.  But it was one of the hardest things I´ve seen down there.  He was trying so hard to be brave, but no one should have to feel alone, especially at Christmas.  Darwin and I both rode in silence with tears running down our faces for a long time.  Then Darwin said, ¨That could so easily be me.  Sometimes I don´t appreciate what I have."  Talk about a heart breaker.  I just pray that both Darwin and Ovilio know that they aren´t ever alone and that God will fulfill our need for love if we allow him to. 

No comments: