Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Sweet Story

No pics here :) Lost or otherwise

The other night we were at La Chimbomba when I noticed that everyone was really picking on one of the guys that is usually a pretty sweet guy(I think his name is Olman) and he was walking around yelling at everyone.  I didn´t think too much of it and went on with the evening.  As we were getting ready to leave though, Olman came up and was crying hard.  He was pretty out of it and very distressed so I had him sit down on the curb and I sat down to talk to him.  Once he was calmed down enough to talk I realized that his shoes had been stolen and that they were picking on him because he was accusing everyone of doing it.  We talked a long time about how it´s easy for him to get taken advantage of when he´s too out of it to defend himself.  In the end I gave him the pink flip flops I was wearing and told him to go find somewhere by himself until he was more coherent. 
So, then we headed down to the park and I tiptoed around the car and sat on the tailgate.  Darwin proceeded to tell everyone my shoes were stolen and they quickly put together a "posse" to go take care of the situation.  We laughed and told them what had happened and everyone calmed back down.  It was sweet how quick they were to defend me.  But the sweetest thing was Vanessa.  Vanessa opened up the little bag she carries with her everywhere and offered me her extra pair of sandals.  I almost cried.  It was so precious.  She literally has nothing.  Less than most of even the homeless people but she was willing to give me her "extra" because I was barefoot, without expecting anything in return.  It was definitely the most vivid picture of Luke 3:11 I have ever seen. "John answered, "Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same."  What about those of us that have closets overflowing with shirts and shoes and food.  I´ve done some serious self reflection since that night. 

No comments: