Tuesday, October 06, 2009

A Much Better Day


First off I want to thank all of you that offered up words of encouragement today after my emotional breakdown yesterday.  I had been up all night the night before, my face hurt, and I was really struggling with what to do with Lucy.  Last night I asked God to make it clear to me what the next step with Lucy should be.  I asked Him to make her either markedly worse or better by morning so that I wouldn't be prolonging her suffering any longer than necessary.  I was willing to stick out a long illness if it was necessary but I was really beginning to lose hope in her recovery. 
This morning I woke up to Lucy having a series of progressively worsening seizures and having no energy whatsoever.  There was no doubt in my mind that she needed to be put down.  I truly believe she could have continued as she was yesterday for a very long time and still not have recovered.  I'm a so very thankful that today the decision was made obvious.  I wanted the kids to have a chance to say goodbye so while I waited for them to return from school I began disinfecting the bottom part of the house.  The kids got home at 10:30 and we headed to the vet.  It was definitely an emotional morning but it was a relief to know she's no longer suffering.  We've already had a couple of different opportunities to get puppies and hope to make a decision within the next couple of days on a new addition to the family.



After that we headed over to the Torch warehouse to pick up enough soup mix to make 900 GALLONS of soup for the homeless ministry.  This is a HUGE blessing and may mean we add another night of feeding.  I'm going to wait and see how things a little longer with the four nights a week and also see how things move ahead with a facility.  If we're able to get a facility we will definitely add another night.  I'm also toying with the idea of Sunday lunch and worship but again we would need a facility or at least somewhere off of the highway to meet.  This could be accomplished in a number of ways. 
Tonight Will and Rachel brought their puppy, Cazadora, to the stadium.  She helped soften the blow that Lucy wasn't coming back.  Everyone was really disappointed but they are looking forward to whatever new puppy we get.  It was POURING tonight at the stadium but we still had a great turn out.  It was fun watching the kids play in the rain. 
I had planned on Regino and his siblings spending the night tonight and having a big day of fun tomorrow but their mom decided not to let them go off with a complete stranger, me.  Way to go responsible mom.  I was a little taken aback at first but really very impressed that she didn't just let them take off with the gringa, which is typically what happens.
So I'm not sure what tomorrow holds, besides church tomorrow night, but I'm sure excitement will follow.

No comments: