Friday, September 11, 2009

Children´s Day in Mogote



What a great day!! I don´t know where to start. In the morning I finished making my first cake with fondant. It turned out pretty well and I was very excited about it. The rest of the day was spent finishing up the cupcakes and making another sheet cake just in case there wasn´t enough. It felt great to get everything finished and I even worked in a short nap. Lucy is doing much better today, and this evening she´s even started eating again. She´s turning into the precocious little puppy I expected her to be.
Tonight at church was great. (I have lots more pics on facebook). The kids were sooo excited about the bounce house donated by MRCC this spring. I bring it up occasionally for special events and it is always a hit. The cupcakes were also a big hit. This pic says it all and makes all the hard work worth it.

This is Gabby. I have been wanting to share Gabby´s story for several days now but didn´t have a picture to go with it. Gabby is about 7 years old and is Lili and Alis´s niece. I know the family pretty well but I don´t know the older siblings at all. There are 12 total and I know the youngest 5. Anyway, about a month ago the oldest sister, Gabby´s mom, brought Gabby to her grandma´s house and left. Gabby is now being raised by her Grandma and aunts and uncles who are around her age in a completely new environment, away from anyone she grew up knowing. But you would never know it to look at her. She is always grinning from ear to ear just like she is in this picture and she always runs up and gives me a big hug like I´m her best friend. She´s quickly becoming one of my favorite kids. When we sing in church Gabby always praises God with all she has. She sings at the top of her lungs with her eyes closed and her hands held out to God. She gets self concious about it and starts giggling if she catches you watching her but truly isn´t looking attention. I love her. She has taught me so much about being content no matter your life situation.

No comments: